The Lighthouse at the End of the World: Whether you are a history buff or you just want to learn more about some of the fascinating lighthouses that were once in place in this part of the world, you are sure to find some interesting facts in the Brief Atlas of Lighthouses at the End of the World. The book features a variety of different lighthouses, from the Pharos Lighthouse in Alexandria, to the Stephens Island Lighthouse, and the Aniva Lighthouse, among many others.
|Height: 103 to 118 m (338 to 387 ft)|
During the third century BC, Alexandria’s population increased greatly. As the city expanded, a lighthouse was built to protect mariners in Alexandria Harbor. Sostratus of Cnidus, a Greek architect, created the lighthouse. The lighthouse was a model for other lighthouses in the Mediterranean.
The lighthouse constructed in three stages. The first stage is a rectangular, hollow structure. The second is octagonal in shape. The third is circular and approximately nine meters high. The lighthouse is design to reflect light 35 miles off shore. It was fitted with every scientific improvement known to the age.
The lighthouse was not only a beacon to sailors, but also had a quasi-religious significance, designed to celebrate the savior Gods. The lighthouse was decorated with sculptures of Greek deities.
Stephens Island Lighthouse
|Height: 15 metres (49 ft)|
Among the many lighthouses of the world, Stephens Island Lighthouse is not among them. While the lighthouse was a rudimentary building, it is not as impressive as the other lights of the world.
On an eroding seabed, the lighthouse constructed. It had a round stone platform for a base, created to shield the main structure from the swells. A stairway led from the water to the base of the tower.
The tower was a thin, seven-story structure with a cone-like shape. Its diameter is 16 and a half feet at the bottom and 21 and a half feet at the top. The tower is top by a handsome modern light.
Anastasia Island watchtower: The Lighthouse at the End of the World
|Height: 49 m (161 ft)|
Located on Anastasia Island, the St. Augustine lighthouse is the tallest structure in the city. It is also one of the oldest structures in the Florida Panhandle, dating back to 1872. Even though some of its glory days have long since passed, the most recent iteration is still in use today. Besides being a tourist attraction, it is also a military and firefighting headquarters. As a matter of fact, it is located on the site where the first lighthouse erected in the early 1700s. The most noteworthy feature is the museum, where you can get a tour of the lighthouse if you so desire.
Geography Of Anastasia Island: The Lighthouse at the End of the World
Saint Augustine Lighthouse And Marine Museum
Aniva lighthouse in the southwest desert: The Lighthouse at the End of the World
|Height: 31 meters (101 ft)|
Located on the south-western tip of Sakhalin, the Krillon lighthouse is a technological marvel, especially for an island of that size. Although the lighthouse was the brainchild of Captain Nikolai Zakharovich Kazarinov, who was in charge of hydrographic part of ports of the Eastern Ocean. The lighthouse was first lit in 1939. It is now abandon and completely rusted. Hence, the lighthouse served as a navigational aid for ships entering and leaving the sea during the height of the Sakhalin empire.
Although, the Krillon lighthouse is located in the Nevelsky district of Sakhalin. Hence, it is a spherical tower erected in 1913, measuring in at a respectable 18 meters. Although, it has two diesel-electric generators with a combined capacity of 10.6 kW. Hence, in the 1950s, it was electrified. Moreover, the aforementioned light-optical system enhanced by a backup EM-500 device that offer an 18-mile visibility range.
Lighthouses in St. Augustine during the American Civil War
During the American Civil War, the Confederate Navy darkened the tower of the St. Augustine lighthouse and used it as a navigation beacon. This was due to the fear of pirate attacks.
Hence, after the Civil War, the lighthouse rebuilt and repaired using federal funds. Although, this 165 foot tall tower has 370 hand-cut glass prisms in its lens. Although, the lens design by French engineer Jean Augustin Fresnel. He perfected the lens in 1822.
Furthermore, on the site where the lighthouse now stands, there was originally a Spanish chapel. Furthermore, the Spaniards constructed the first lighthouse in the late 1500s. The first lighthouse built to point Spanish ships toward the port. During this time, sea levels were rising.
Lighthouse remains on exhibit in an open-air museum near Kom el-Dikka in Alexandria
On the island of Pharos in Alexandria, a lighthouse was constructed thousands of years ago. Moreover, the lighthouse was constructed as a coast guard and navigational aid for ships. In 280 BC, during the rule of Ptolemy II of Egypt, the lighthouse was completed. Moreover, the lighthouse was a technological achievement, survived for nearly two millennia.
The lighthouse was badly destroyed in the 1300s during an earthquake. In addition, the breakwater that the Egyptian government planned to construct for the lighthouse was never completed. at the end, earthquakes destroyed the lighthouse. at Mediterranean Sea, the lighthouse’s final pieces were discovered.
Which state has the most Lighthouses?
Assateague Lighthouse Historic Top: Climb It
Cape Lookout National Seashore
Checkout more tallest experiences at thetallest.net ..!!